The Central Iowa Wind Ensemble is seeking a new Conductor and Music Director to assume responsibilities for the 2019-2020 season. A Des Moines based 501(c)(3) charitable organization with auditioned volunteer musicians, CIWE performs an advanced repertoire at 3-4 concerts per year in Des Moines and central Iowa for a variety of audiences.
- Serves as the artistic leader of the organization
- Selects repertoire in collaboration with the Board
- Prepares the ensemble for performances
- Maintains the highest musical standards of the ensemble
- Assists the Personnel Manager with personnel & instrumentation decisions and new member auditions
- Occasionally acts on behalf of the organization as an advocate, ambassador and educator within the community
- Serves as a non-elected voting member of the Board of Directors
- Assists with planning and promotion of performances
- Writes program notes for each concert
- Assists with fundraising and general promotional activities
- Assists the President in the overall activities of the Board and the ensemble
- Other duties as assigned
About the Central Iowa Wind Ensemble
The Central Iowa Wind Ensemble is an adult symphonic band with musicians drawn from the greater Des Moines area. The ensemble was founded in 2002 by a group of central Iowa music educators under the leadership of Dr. Evan Feldman, who led the group until 2005. To this day, the ensemble maintains a strong contingent of educators, but membership has expanded to include musicians from a wide variety of musical backgrounds and occupations. The Central Iowa Wind Ensemble is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization registered as a corporation in the State of Iowa.
Our mission: the Central Iowa Wind Ensemble is a charitable fine arts organization dedicated to providing opportunities for listening to, and participating in, outstanding performances of wind band music. We do this by assembling musicians of advanced proficiency, performing concerts throughout the community, and reaching out to young and/or disadvantaged audiences.
CIWE’s season runs late August through early May with approximately four performances per year in Des Moines and other central Iowa communities. Rehearsals are held Sundays from 4-6pm at Des Moines East High School. Approximately five 2-hour rehearsals are held prior to each concert.
- Previous experience conducting high level high school, college, or adult wind bands
- Extensive knowledge of wind band literature
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to attend all rehearsals and concerts
- Bachelor’s degree in music, master’s preferred
A stipend of $1,000 per season is available.
Applications must include:
- Letter of interest
- Minimum three samples of programs the applicant has rehearsed and performed
Please submit application materials by Friday, March 8, 2019 to email@example.com.